Austro-Hungarian Hand Grenades of the Great War Part Four – The Schwere Hand Grenade Part One

Schwere hand grenades, made of cast-iron, and in quite a number of different styles and sizes, were used by Austro-Hungarian forces throughout the war. Continue reading

Posted in Austro-Hungarian Hand Grenades, Weaponry & Relics | 2 Comments

Austro-Hungarian Hand Grenades of the Great War Part Three – The Lakos Hand Grenade

Three examples of what are known as Lakos hand grenades, although why, I have no idea. Continue reading

Posted in Austro-Hungarian Hand Grenades, Weaponry & Relics | 4 Comments

Austro-Hungarian Hand Grenades of the Great War Part Two – The Ball Rohr Hand Grenade

This is the Ball Rohr hand grenade, also once attached to a cardboard handle, remnants of which you can still see inside the ball. Continue reading

Posted in Austro-Hungarian Hand Grenades, Weaponry & Relics | Leave a comment

Austro-Hungarian Hand Grenades of the Great War Part One – The Rohr Hand Grenade

Many of the early hand grenades in use during the first few months of the war, across all the combatant nations, were improvised explosive devices, tins full of bits of metal or anything likely to cause damage, often attached to handles for easier throwing.  The Austro-Hungarian Army was no different, but by the spring of 1915, these improvised hand grenades were being replaced by not only the German Stielhandgranate, which the Austrians soon began importing in large quantities, but by other Austrian-manufactured stick grenades, and in particular the Rohr hand grenade. Continue reading

Posted in Austro-Hungarian Hand Grenades, Weaponry & Relics | Leave a comment

German Hand Grenades of the Great War Part Six – The M1915 & M1917 Stielhandgranaten

A seriously scorched M1917 model German Stielhandgranate. Continue reading

Posted in German Hand Grenades, Weaponry & Relics | 2 Comments

A Tour of Boesinghe Part Thirteen – A Detour to the Ziegler Bunker

A mile and three quarters south east of the Van Raemdonck Brothers Memorial, two miles almost due west of the centre of Langemark, and just under a mile north of our next stop in the fields opposite Boesinghe, this is the so-called Ziegler Bunker, built by the Germans in the winter of 1915-1916. Continue reading

Posted in Boesinghe, Bunkers | 2 Comments

A Tour of Boesinghe Part Twelve – Lizerne: 3rd Line Regiment & Van Raemdonck Brothers Memorials

778

Three hundred yards north of the Cross of Reconciliation, the main road we have followed so far this tour (with detours, of course – where would we be without detours) along the western bank of the Ypres Canal from Essex Farm, turns in a wide sweeping curve to the north east, crossing the canal on its way to Diksmuide. Continue reading

Posted in Boesinghe, Bunkers, Lizerne | Leave a comment