Mystery Item #1

What, pray tell, might these be?

They are of Great War vintage, of course, German, one is flat, and one isn’t.

They both have the same use but were not used together.

And they are not part of something, like a part of a field gun, but to be used they did have to be attached to something else.  These devices are different models of exactly the same thing, and are no more and no less than what you see.  Which is all you are going to get from me.  Apart from the fact that you know many of my specific Great War interests by now.  Which may or may not be a red herring.  Have fun.

This entry was posted in Weaponry & Relics. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Mystery Item #1

1. Sid from Down Under says:

You devil, you – this is unfair. Curiosity killed the cat and information brought it back to life – which you will ultimately do. So, starting the solution – they very obviously are round, very rusted, flat or domed-with-hole somethings. Look about 3 inch diameter.

Something to do with hand grenades. No – you’ve done them to death (LOL)

Something to do with a 3” mortar bomb? Something to do with a magnesium flare?

As people clearly have better things to do with their weekends – and why wouldn’t they – I might give you the answer off-site, if you wish. It can stay up here for a while as a mystery item, I think.

2. Sid from Down Under says:

I look forward to receiving your off-site information ….. as part of the mystery fun I’m prepared to be mocked by one and all for being wrong but at least I have a go … pity others do not!

Carole and I have just returned from Albany on Western Australia’s south coast where we visited the 16,000 plus lights in the “Field of Lights” which ends on ANZAC Day 25th April. Very moving. Also visited the National ANZAC Centre which commemorates both ANZACS and the Western Front. An amazing place. I hope my photographs will be OK because I plan to send you some – grenades, bayonets etc. You would have a ball in this place.

3. Nick Kilner says:

It looks a little like part of a German disc grenade, but I wouldn’t put any money on that 😉

4. Sid from Down Under says:

Good try Nick and far better than my attempt – but I’m confident Magicfingers will say you’ve gone from my suggested “Red hot” to very cool.

Hint: Think the opposite … ah, that’s given it away but there is a specific name

Let’s hope with your and my efforts, other readers will join in this mystery and eventually MF will disclose all …. until then he’ll be basking in his mystery challenge

Well the first thing I had to do is find out what the hell a pusher plate might be. I know bugger-all about artillery shells. Lol! Actually I really should get some expert advice – Nick, add this to your list please. Expert advice required at some point! Anyway, looking at diagrams I can see why Nick suggested a pusher plate – but he ain’t right, is he?

• Nick kilner says:

Ian Jones is your man for advise on artillery shells, or ammunition in general come to that. I don’t think it would be an over exaggeration to say he’s probably one of the foremost experts in Europe. I’m nothing more than an interested amateur in that respect I’m afraid.

• Nick kilner says:

Hmmm, so back to my original thought I’m presuming it’s grenade related?

It is. It was used with one generic type of grenade only and it had one specific purpose.

• Nick kilner says:

Were they something to do with the charge itself? Safety covers perhaps?

• Nick Kilner says:

I have it! Shall I tell, or shall we keep it going?

• Sid from Down Under says:

I suspect, Nick, you have truly discovered the answer so that deserves the good old Aussie cry “Eureka!” But that said, may I suggest …. “please some other readers Have a go” …..

A certain person is soon heading north for a while so hold your powder Nick until 28th April unless said person says otherwise

• Nick Kilner says:

That’s absolutely fine with me Sid, mum’s the word 😉

Me, I am saying nowt until I return.

6. Sid from Down Under says:

Och mon, I expect you to come back after engaging with things steam and explain this in plain English https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPXB-9xFZwQ

Now that’s the challenge – perhaps much more simple than your rusty mystery disc

7. Felicity Felyne says:

Oooh, I’ve just learnt what this is (I think)!

Due to the conditions in the environment in which they were used, one particular method of delivery for a device proved too efficient, so these were developed to retard the burrowing capability of said device, either by 25% or 50%.

Am I right?

Having read Sid’s comment below, what a quandary I find myself in! Lol! I would feel almost churlish if I didn’t give you the prize, Felicity, although Sid does comment on my precisicity (I made that up!). Your answer is wonderful. Swap ‘burrowing capability’ for an eight letter word beginning with ‘v’ and ending in ‘y’, and it’s yours. See, I am being churlish!!

• Sid from Down Under says:

I think your fourth letter is “o” but would not another eight letter word “friction” causing also meet with your precisicity (love that word). Nick did very well, too

Look forward to your next Mystery

• Felicity Felyne says:

I’d like to buy a vowel please… wait, I don’t need to…I’ll just take my name, trade my F with your V, and the first I with an O, and bingo was his name-o! (maybe, hopefully)! It’s airline sized miniature double malt scotchy whisky on the rocks for all!

I watched ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ on Thursday (was ANZAC Day here in Kiwiland) and there was a 10 second clip of these being used and was all excited yelling ‘those are those things!’. The position in which the ejecting device was held (relative to it’s normal position) was such that the recoil knocked the guys helmet off. Was kinda funny. I hope I haven’t given too much away to other readers who were wanting to figure it out.

• Sid from Down Under says:

Your consonant trading is worthy of a Stock Trader ringing the bell and deserving of a well done elephant stamp ….. air “friction” affects the MF v word thus it could be a friction device but I’ve cheated. Anyone else up to having a go?

PS MF might say you’ll have to settle for a NZ
            1993 Cask Strength Single Malt. Only $899 per 750ml bottle (do I hear a gasp from MF?) at a light 49-60% ABV … will satisfy the most discerning pallet.

Brilliantly put Felicity! Damn. I missed a trick with your name there. And it is a favourite name too! Lol. Your explanation of how you discovered made me chuckle. And I am going to have to find that bit in the film. Well done you. I will explain to anyone else the whole answer when Mystery Item Number #2 is ready. Oh what fun!

8. Sid from Down Under says:

Hello Felicity – methinks you are well on the right track too … but I wonder if precise Magicfingers will accept your definition … we should learn when he soon returns from his Bonny Scotland jaunt …. I reckon for those who are “close enough to right” should be awarded a bottle of Double Malt Scotch Whisky even if it’s an airline size miniature