The Easter Rising Part Nine – Boland’s Mill & Beggars Bush Barracks

20161119_145150

Thanks to a very kind (and deliberately slow) taxi driver, I managed to get some shots of Boland’s Mill as we passed by (this one taken as the mill receded into the distance). Continue reading

Posted in Ireland 1916-1923 | Leave a comment

The Easter Rising Part Eight – Mount Street Bridge

339

The Grand Canal, Dublin, with Mount Street Bridge in the background.  Some of the heaviest fighting during the Rising took place around the bridge on Wednesday 26th April 1916, as the Sherwood Foresters, bruised and battered as they fought their way up Northumberland Road (last post), attempted to cross the canal. Continue reading

Posted in Ireland 1916-1923 | Leave a comment

The Easter Rising Part Seven – Northumberland Road

20161119_1406290

On the morning of Wednesday 26th April 1916, British reinforcements began to arrive in Ireland, disembarking at Kingstown (now Dún Laoghaire), and moving towards the south eastern outskirts of Dublin.  Ordered to make their way by the most direct route to Dublin Castle, the men of the Notts & Derby Regiment (Sherwood Foresters) would have to find a way across the Grand Canal, and the bridge at Mount Street, at the northern end of Northumberland Road, would seem the most obvious choice. Continue reading

Posted in Ireland 1916-1923 | Leave a comment

The Easter Rising Part Six – Royal (Collins) Barracks & the Four Courts

450

Royal Barracks, as it was known at the time of the Rising, is the second oldest public building in Dublin, after the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham – see last post – dating back to 1701. Continue reading

Posted in Ireland 1916-1923 | Leave a comment

The Easter Rising Part Five – The Royal Hospital & the South Dublin Union

Royal Hospital

The Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, was the headquarters of Brigadier General William Lowe, who assumed command of the British forces in Dublin at the time of the Rising, and there was serious fighting in the vicinity, most notably at the South Dublin Union, not far out of shot to the right (south), and easily within range of a British machine gun sited on the roof of the hospital. Continue reading

Posted in Ireland 1916-1923 | Leave a comment

The Easter Rising Part Four – St. Stephen’s Green & the Royal College of Surgeons

A short distance south of Trinity College, Fusiliers’ Arch, the memorial to the men of the  Royal Dublin Fusiliers who died fighting for the British in South Africa at the turn of the 20th Century, marks the northern entrance to St. Stephen’s Green. Continue reading

Posted in Ireland 1916-1923 | 4 Comments

The Easter Rising Part Three – Trinity College

Trinity College, a few hundred yards south of the GPO, was only lightly defended on the morning of 24th April 1916, as momentum in the streets grew.  About fifty members of the Officer Training Corps (even their CO was away), under a Captain and a Lieutenant, and a number of soldiers present, or nearby, at the time, closed the gates and took to the roof to defend the College against the expected rebel assault. Continue reading

Posted in Ireland 1916-1923 | Leave a comment