- 1918 – The Advance East (5)
- Along the River Lys (7)
- Arras (6)
- Belgian War Memorials (15)
- Demarcation Stones (7)
- Diksmuide (3)
- Documents (6)
- Etaples (1)
- French Flanders (39)
- French War Memorials (10)
- German Military Cemeteries (2)
- Hill 60 (4)
- Ireland 1916-1923 (16)
- Ireland: The Great War (10)
- Langemark (8)
- Messines (30)
- Miscellaneous (60)
- Nieuwpoort (7)
- Ploegsteert (32)
- Poelkapelle (2)
- Polygon Wood (3)
- Postcards (3)
- Potijze (5)
- Ramscappelle & Pervijze (5)
- Sanctuary Wood & Hill 62 (5)
- Spain (1)
- St. Jean (8)
- The Belgian Sector (16)
- The Menin Road (16)
- The Road to Passchendaele – Third Ypres 1917 (18)
- The Somme (49)
- U.K. Cemeteries – Back in Blighty (411)
- Wulvergem (7)
- Ypres (Ieper) (18)
- Zandvoorde (5)
- Zillebeke (19)
- Dublin – The Garden of Remembrance August 13, 2017
- Etaples Military Cemetery July 30, 2017
- L48 July 24, 2017
- Muslim Burial Ground Peace Garden – Inaugural Commemoration Service 16th July 2017 July 19, 2017
- The Somme: Thiepval – Mouquet (Mucky) Farm July 9, 2017
- The Somme: Amiens – General Philippe Leclerc & French Resistance Memorials July 2, 2017
- The Somme: Villers-Bretonneux Part Four – Crucifix Corner Cemetery June 21, 2017
- The Somme: Villers-Bretonneux Part Three – Adelaide Cemetery June 17, 2017
- The Somme: Villers-Bretonneux Part Two: Villers-Bretonneux Australian National Memorial & Military Cemetery June 10, 2017
- I Prefer a Blond (but don’t tell the Missus) June 3, 2017
Category Archives: Messines
Half a mile east of Wulvergem, just south of the road that leads towards Messines (now Mesen), this farm down in the valley of the River Douve plays host to two CWGC cemeteries.
Spot the Cross of Sacrifice. Sunset at Ration Farm (La Plus Douve) Annexe.
Oosttaverne Wood Cemetery, the final stop on our Tour of the Messines Ridge.
Just before we arrive at the final cemetery on our tour, we pass this roadside memorial, known as the ‘Butterfly Memorial’, to the men of the 19th Division.
As evening begins to fall and our tour nears its end, we find ourselves at the little cemetery of Somer Farm, on the north eastern outskirts of Wytschaete.
A winter’s day in Wytschaete. In June 1917 this scene would have been one of utter devastation.
Torreken Farm Cemetery No.1 lies in the fields half a mile north west of Derry House, to the south east of the village of Wytschaete (Wijtschate).